Featured Post

Best Homemade Dog Shampoo: All Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo

I found this DIY dog shampoo at this link.  Within the post is a link to her homemade flea shampoo.  https://www.freebiefindingmom.com/b...

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Vicks Scentsy Bars and Shower Discs

http://stephmakesstuff.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/vicks-shower-discs-and-scentsy-bars/

Vicks Scentsy Bars and Shower Discs

This blog is actually combining 2 pins in one: the homemade Scentsy bars and theVicks Shower Discs. I figured if I was already going to have the essential oils out, might as well do both crafts, right?
Here’s what you’ll need (for both crafts):
  • Baking soda
  • Essential oils: Eucylyptus, Peppermint, and Rosemary (Lavender or Lemon will work instead of Rosemary, if desired)
  • Unscented candle
  • Cupcake Liner (foil or silicone liners are ideal)
  • Empty Scentsy package or ice cube tray
photo 1I was surprised how simple these crafts where. There are very few steps for each one.
For the Vicks Shower Discs, you’ll use 3:1 soda to water. I followed the directions on the Pinterest link and did 3 cups soda, 1 cup water. This ratio is even on the back of the box (in Tablespoons) as a face scrub. Good to know!
The mixture is pretty lumpy, but no worries. It will smooth out. Fill up a dozen cupcake liners about halfway full.
photo 2The paste acts kind of like a non-Newtonian fluid, which completely fascinate me. But I digress, just wiggle your spoon on the top of the liquid and it smooths out very quickly.
photo 3The pin called for them to dry overnight. I didn’t have time for that this week so I put them in a very low temp oven. It worked, but if you have time, just allow them to dry thoroughly overnight.
After they are completely dry, remove them from their liners. Or leave them in. It’s fine either way. Add your oils. I did 6 drops Rosemary, 8 drops Peppermint, and 8 drops Eucalyptus. Mine didn’t turn out very pretty, ha! I had already had my shower for the day so I just ran it under hot water for a few minutes. The disc didn’t last long under the hot water but the aroma lingered, almost strengthened, after the disc was gone. Overall, I’m pleased. I’ll be sure to make more next time the hubby gets sick. Between the steam and the decongestants, this project was pretty awesome.
photo 4Now on to Vicks scented Scentsy bars. I kept seeing suggestion on Pinterest to put Vicks in your Scentsy wax melter instead of putting in on your child. That didn’t settle well with me. Something about that set up just seems dangerous, flammable. I figured I could use the essential oils to create a safer alternative.
I started by melting my candle. This was a Super Bowl party gift. lol! Our host wanted a goofy gift and she never figured I’d use it, but I’ll bet she’s surprised to see it on my blog now! Melting the candle took soooo long.
photo 1While your candle is melting. Prep your containers. I used an old Scentsy package and about half of an ice cube tray. Make sure your containers are cleaned and deodorized.
photo 2Once your candle is FINALLY melted, fill your trays and add your scents. I used about 3 drops of each oil per square. Next time, I will probably increase this to 6 or 7 drops per square.
photo 3Allow them to dry. The wax forms a shell rather quickly, about 10 minutes, but don’t remove it from it’s container yet. If you look closely, you can see where the middle is still liquid. Mine looked totally dry after about 9 hours. I popped one out of the ice cube container and immediately tried it.  Haha. Ironic. I wait 8 hours for it to dry just to melt it again. It smelled wonderful. I wish I had made it a little stronger but it definitely can clear your sinuses. Again, I’m pleased.
photo 4I’m pretty excited to know I can save so much on my scented wax. I’m especially excited that I don’t have to worry about a fire or greasy skin, depending on how you are using Vicks at the time.
photo 5This project would be great if you have small children. You could get all the benefits of the rub with a ton more convenience.  It’s also good for fussy husbands who don’t like their shirt sticking to their chest. I love this project. I can guarantee I will keep some of this in my medicine cabinet for allergy season!

No comments:

Post a Comment